Payroll Technician Certificate
To view the next enrolment date please click here
Starting with PAYE and NIC, this certificate will equip you with the skills necessary for the preparation of manual payments and the correction of errors.
The Payroll Technician Certificate then moves on to the more complex rules of SMP, SPP, SAP, SSP and associated leave and contains all recent legislative changes, providing clear explanations on qualification, entitlement and calculation of the statutory payments and leave. The certificate concludes by considering court orders, student loans and a look at PAYE “K” codes.
Who is this certificate aimed at?
- New people in payroll who want to understand what payroll software does for them and those who need the ability to calculate or check calculations manually
- Those working in HR and finance with responsibility for advising employees and calculating company reimbursements
- Staff with some payroll experience looking to further their knowledge
- Individuals who are considering enrolling on the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management at year two and want to refresh their knowledge on the fundamentals of day to day payroll operations
Why should I invest in this certificate?
- Improved knowledge and confidence within your role
- Greater understanding of how payroll should be administered to comply with legislation
- Reduced risks of compliance penalties, especially in relation to PAYE reporting
- Convenience of certificate timing, giving the student flexibility relating to start dates and fitting around workload
What do my fees include?
- Online course provision through the CIPP’s student website
- A personal tutor for the duration of your studies
- Trial student membership of the CIPP, for six months, alongside your studies, providing you with access to:
- Two enquiries to the CIPP’s Advisory Service helpline which you can call Monday – Friday with any technical questions
- Professional in Payroll, Pensions and Reward magazine, online via the CIPP website
- News On Line e-newsletter distributed with the latest news, updates and legislation
- Overview of automatic enrolment
- Calculating gross pay and apportionment of gross pay
- Voluntary and statutory deductions
- The pay statement
- Tax codes and tax free pay
- Tax percentages and rates
- P45 and P46 procedures
- Use of tax/NIC tables
- NI percentages and rates
- Starters and leavers
- Revenue audit processes and penalties for non-compliance
- Recovery procedures and offsetting
- Resolving disagreements on entitlement
- Statutory entitlement and qualification criteria
- Exclusions and ceasing entitlement
- Calculating payments
- Record keeping and statutory forms
- Attachment of Earning Orders
- Student loans
- Overview of end of year statutory requirements
- Basic payroll obligations
Each topic consists of comprehensive learning materials; links to a range of external material; and knowledge tests associated with these topics. Some are enhanced with streaming video and interactive lessons and tutorials, utilising video conferencing over the internet.
The final assessment is scenario based, where the student is required to perform a series of calculations based on what they have learnt.
The Payroll Technician Certificate is delivered entirely online through the CIPP’s student website. It includes comprehensive documentation and is supported by a series of interactive activities, including online presentations.
How do I enrol?
To enrol please click here. Alternatively email us for more information.
Once successfully completed you may choose to progress to the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management.