New Acas framework for positive mental health at work
13 August 2018
Acas has launched a new framework to help employers to positively manage workplace mental health.
Alongside Acas guidance the framework can help to provide the confidence to support staff experiencing mental ill health, which in turn will help employees remain engaged and productive at work.
The ‘shared goal’ of the framework is ‘Positive wellbeing and productive workplaces’ and there are three interlinking elements to the framework:
- Lead and embed a wellbeing strategy
- Reduce stigma
- Tackle the causes of workplace stress
- Support and train managers
- Understand the impact personal issues can have on mental wellbeing
- Build rapport with staff
- Plan work with ‘people’ in mind
- Have confidence and knowledge in managing mental health
- Handle difficult conversations effectively
- Support work-life balance
- Look after their own wellbeing
- Use positive coping strategies
- Identify personal stress triggers
- Engage with line managers
- Take notice and support colleagues
It is estimated that one in four of us will experience mental ill health at some point in our lives and Acas explain and advocate the importance of all parties managing workplace mental health.
In May, the 2018 CIPD Wellbeing at Work survey suggested more than a fifth of organisations cited mental illness as the primary cause of long-term absence.