Course of the week: P11D, Expenses and Benefits
06 March 2017
The tax and NICs treatment of expense payments and benefits in kind is complex, with numerous pitfalls for the unwary or unprepared. Without exception, every year there are changes to the statutory rules which impact on employers’ systems and processes. Employers are constantly alert to controlling and reducing employment costs yet often seek to maintain or enhance the range of benefits on offer to their employees.
Whenever HMRC conducts an audit of an employer’s records, processes and systems, the inspector focuses on the payment of expenses and the provision of benefits in kind. It is common place for HMRC to find discrepancies and to demand the payment of significant amounts of underpaid tax and NICs for past years. Misunderstanding the implications of the statutory requirements can prove very costly.
This course is designed to guide delegates through the complexities of the tax and NICs rules and to provide them with clarity and confidence.
Who should attend?
Anyone with responsibility for the compensation and benefits packages within their organisation.
- Statutory requirements and implications
- Cars and vans
- Beneficial loans
- Travel and subsistence expenses
- Other expenses
- Vouchers / credit cards / tokens
- Gifts and awards
- Retirement benefits
- Salary sacrifice and waiver schemes
- Flexible benefits schemes
- PAYE settlement agreements
- Taxed award schemes
- Grossing up
On completion, delegates should:
- Understand the general tax and NICs rules of expenses payments and benefits in kind for employers and employees
- Comprehend the processing and recording requirements of expenses and benefits
- Confidently conduct discussions and negotiations with HMRC
- Review their employer’s expenses and benefits systems
Dates coming up
15 March 2017 - London
21 March 2017 - Glasgow
22 March 2017 - Leeds
26 April 2017 - Birmingham