Course of the week: Employee share options and shares
13 January 2016
This course is aimed at practitioners who need to understand how employee share options (and employees holding shares) works, how they fit into an overall benefits package and the practical implications from a taxation and payroll perspective.
What will I learn?
This course includes an overview of the nature of shares and share options and why employers might use them as part of a benefits package.
It will explain the difference between unapproved and approved options. It will outline the types of schemes available. The course will analyse the tax treatment of the different approved and unapproved schemes.
The course will deal with the practical reporting and filing requirements and changes to HMRC requirements.
- Understanding shares and options
- What is a share?
- How are shares valued?
- What is a share option?
- Why give employees shares?
- Approved and unapproved share options
- What is an approved share option?
- Types of approved share option
- Employee shareholders/rights for shares scheme
- Unapproved options
- Effect of employees holding shares
- Taxation of share options and grants of shares
- When does income tax and NI apply ?
- When does CGT /entrepreneurs’ relief apply ?
- When does income tax and NI fall within the PAYE regime
- Reporting requirements and taxation elections
- S431 elections and their importance
- Form 42 and scheme specific filing requirements
- Changes to method of filing
The CIPP offer discounts for registered charities on all 1 and 2 day short courses (excluding Irish and International short courses) and 1 day conferences. These discounts will be applied at the time of invoicing. For more information please click here or email email@example.com or call us on 0121 712 1000. Closing date for bookings is one week prior to the course date.