Course of the week: Creating Payroll Procedures
07 March 2014
Who is this course aimed at?
Administrators, team leaders or managers who are responsible for processing the payroll and who need to put formally documented procedures in place so that payroll can operate, even if they become unavailable one pay period.
What will I learn?
You will learn how to create a manual, based on our template, using your own company procedures. We will clearly explain what is required in each section and clarify the basic principles.
When is this course taking place?
- Organisation of the payroll office/departmental structure
- Job descriptions
- Allocation of responsibilities and duties
- Establishing information and workflows
- Identifying authorisation and verification requirements
- Year end procedures
- Defining processes for starters and leavers
- Data entry requirements
- Incorporating statutory obligations
- Setting timetables
- Comprehensive coverage of all payroll procedures
On completion, delegates should be able to:
- Produce their own individual manual tailored to their organisation’s needs
- Understand the principles which need to be adhered to when developing a procedures manual
- Explain the value of a unique payroll procedures manual to others
Would you like more assurance on your processes?
The CIPP Payroll Assurance Scheme has been developed to provide payroll departments with assurance that:
- Their payroll and associated processes are fit for purpose and comply with government legislation
- They have the right payroll activities in place
- They have suitable processes in place for picking up and preparing for legislative changes
The Payroll Assurance Scheme will also highlight areas for development and improvement and help organisations prepare for an HMRC audit.
Benefits of PAS
- Use of the PAS accreditation logo demonstrating that your organisation is dedicated to compliance and best practice in payroll
- Reduced risk of compliance penalties from government - engagement in the scheme shows that your organisation is putting reasonable measures in place to ensure that you comply with current legislation
- Potential improvements inprocesses leading to greater effectiveness and efficiencies within the payroll function; which will also lead to overall time and cost savings for the organisation