Faster, easier tax repayments via Personal Tax Accounts
25 August 2016
HMRC has announced a faster and easier tax repayment approach through Personal Tax Accounts.
Taxpayers can now opt to get their money back direct from HMRC through their digital Personal Tax Accounts.
Tax that they have overpaid will be returned directly to their bank account within 3-5 days. The online refund is just one of many services customers can access through their Personal Tax Account.
With over 34 quick and easy services which would have previously meant a letter or phone call to HMRC, the Personal Tax Account makes tax less formal and time consuming.
With the Personal Tax Account customers can:
- view and update personal details
- see how their tax is calculated
- see the progress of forms they’ve sent to HMRC
- check the expected level of their state pension
- find out about Marriage Allowance entitlement, and make a claim online
- see tax credits payments and report changes in circumstances.
Webchat is available to support customers who need help while accessing their online tax account.
It takes less than five minutes to get started. Customers will need to set up a Government Gateway account on the second page (unless they already have one). To do this they will need:
- their National Insurance number
- either a recent payslip or P60 (a passport can be used if they don’t have these)
- a telephone number to receive the one-time security code.
To set up a repayment, customers will need to notify HMRC of their bank account details.
To register, go to Personal Tax Account: sign in or set up.