GOV.UK Verify: technical delivery update
18 November 2016
If you are interested in the technical development of GOV.UK Verify, then this blog is for you.
If however you are wondering what GOV.UK Verify is then read our news item from earlier in the year which details what GOV.UK Verify is, how it works and how it allows you to access government services online.
Latest technical delivery blog:
We’re working on 3 technical delivery priorities: increasing departmental adoption of GOV.UK Verify; improving the completion rate for GOV.UK Verify users; and improving and maintaining GOV.UK Verify. In the past month, we focused on 2 of these priorities: improving the completion rate and maintaining GOV.UK Verify.
Here’s a summary of what we’ve been working on since our last update back in October and what we plan to do next.
Improving the completion rate
To improve the volume of visits that result in a user creating or re-using a verified account with a certified company, we’ve:
- made it easier for users to continue verifying their identity after they’ve provided feedback or asked a question by directing them back to where they can continue their journey
- researched new ways to explain to users how GOV.UK Verify works so they can make better-informed decisions about which certified company to choose.
Improving and maintaining GOV.UK Verify
We want to continue improving the way we run the GOV.UK Verify federation and operate the live service effectively. To continue keeping GOV.UK Verify available and secure we’ve automated most of our code release process and are now setting up metrics to measure where we can make further improvements in speed and reliability.
Things we plan to do next
In the coming 3 to 4 weeks we expect to:
- improve how users can pause and continue verifying their identity at a later time
- give users clearer information about the alternative options they have to access government services if they cancel during the verification process
- upgrade the software tool we use to analyse our usage statistics
- continue recruiting new members for the technical delivery team - we’re looking for web ops engineers, developers and more! If you’re interested in joining us at GDS, check out our current vacancies.
Subscribe to the blog to keep up to date with GOV.UK Verify's latest technical developments.