Important changes to direct debit and Bacs direct credit scheme rules
06 January 2017
There have been recent changes to the Direct Debit and Bacs Direct Credit Scheme Rules. If you are a user of the Scheme it is important you are aware of these changes and make plans to implement them as necessary.
A list outlining the main changes that you should be aware of can be found at the beginning of each of the Guides. The key changes include:
- Redrafted Service User's Guide and Rules into a more logical flow to reflect the journey a service user takes when joining the Scheme.
- Updated methods for signing up to paperless Direct Debit
- Significant changes to the challenge and counter claim reasons and the procedures for providing supporting evidence. These Rules take effect from the 1 February 2017. The existing Rules, effective up to 31 January 2017, have been removed from the updated Guide and Rules in readiness, but can be found here.
Follow the links below to access the updated Guide and Rules:
- Service User's Guide and Rules to the Direct Debit Scheme
- Service User's Guide and Rules to the Bacs Direct Credit Scheme
PDF versions of the Guide and Rules can be found in the Information Hub which is located on the right hand side of the Bacs website.
Please note: you will only be able to access the Guide and Rules which are appropriate to your participation with Bacs. These documents are password protected. If you haven't yet applied for your password, do so now.