Personal Tax Account
17 February 2016
HMRC has now launched the Personal Tax Account that enables individuals to manage their own tax affairs online. These secure digital tax accounts bring together each individual customer’s details online in one place.
Your employees can use their Personal Tax Account to:
- check their Income Tax estimate and tax code
- tell HMRC about a change of address
- check or update their company car details
- check and manage medical benefits that affect their tax
- apply for Marriage Allowance
- manage ‘trusted helpers’ – register to help friends or family with their tax, or appoint friends or family to help them
- track tax iForms that they have submitted online.
More services will be added in the future.
By encouraging your employees to access their Personal Tax Account online you should get fewer enquiries. They will be able to check their coding, and any changes they need to make are made in real time.
At the beginning of February 2016 HMRC started to issue the P2 annual notices of coding to individual employees for the tax year beginning 6 April 2016. These include an insert that refers to the Personal Tax Account and the online help provided explains how individuals can access it. Employees who do that will be able to view and amend their coding online where appropriate.
By April 2016, almost every individual will be able to access their own digital account – simple, personalised and secure, offering an increasing range of services.
This information was included in HMRC’s February 2016 Employer Bulletin: Issue 58.