Request to opt out of receiving your PAYE annual tax summary

30 August 2016

With the introduction of the Personal Tax Account and the continual drive to reduce paper use where unnecessary, you can now request to opt out of receiving your annual PAYE tax summary from HMRC.

There are two ways you can request to opt out:

  • Use the online form service to sign in or set up a Government Gateway account if you don’t have one. If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.
  • Email the form – this doesn’t require a sign in.

In both cases you will need your date of birth and National Insurance number.

Personal Tax Account

If you don’t yet have a personal tax account, it takes less than five minutes to get started and you can use your account to:

  • check your Income Tax estimate and tax code
  • fill in, send and view a personal tax return
  • claim a tax refund
  • check and manage your tax credits
  • check your State Pension
  • track tax forms that you’ve submitted online
  • check or update your Marriage Allowance
  • tell HMRC about a change of address
  • check or update benefits you get from work, eg company car details and medical insurance

These quick and easy services would have previously meant a letter or phone call to HMRC and more services will be added in the future - it is worth taking the time to register.

You will need to set up a Government Gateway account on the second page, unless you already have one. To do this you will need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • a recent payslip or P60 (a passport can be used if they don’t have these)
  • a telephone number to receive the one-time security code.

To register, go to Personal Tax Account: sign in or set up.

You can also sign in with GOV.UK Verify which takes about ten minutes to set up.