Advanced Payroll Technician Certificate
Covering Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and National Insurance contributions, as well as more complex legislation, this certificate is ideal for those starting their career and seeking formal qualifications, and also wish to continue onto the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management.
This course will equip you with the skills necessary for the preparation of manual payments and correction of errors then moves onto the rules of statutory maternity pay, statutory paternity pay, statutory adoption pay, shared parental pay, statutory sick pay and associated leave and contains all recent legislative changes. This will provide clear explanations on qualification, entitlement and calculation of the above statutory payments and leave. The course concludes by considering court orders and student loans.
The recommended study time per week on average is around seven hours. All the course material is online, you will be continually assessed which means you work your way through the material and complete the exercises at the end of each module. There are assessments at the end of the course which you will need to pass in order to achieve the qualification.
- Multiple choice test
- Scenario based assessment
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) online test
- Assignment - The assignment will be 2500 words and the student will be required to achieve a minimum of D
WHO IS THIS CERTIFICATE AIMED AT?
Payroll team members who are planning a career in payroll by gaining further formal qualifications within the industry.
This certificate offers onward progression to the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management.
WHY SHOULD I INVEST IN THIS CERTIFICATE?
Payroll legislation is increasing in complexity; therefore it is important that payroll professionals are knowledgeable and skilled in payroll legislation and processes to ensure that your employees are paid accurately and on time. This certificate will improve knowledge, understanding and application of payroll which will help to prevent fines for non-compliance.
If you are considering progression to the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management, successful completion of this certificate provides exemption from the first year.
This qualification is conducted completely online and covers the following topics:
- Overview of automatic enrolment
- Calculating gross pay and its apportionment of gross pay
- Voluntary and statutory deductions
- The pay statement
- Tax codes and the pay adjustment
- Tax percentages and rates
- P45 and the starter checklist
- Calculation of tax and NICs
- NI percentages and rates
- Income tax (PAYE) calculation
- The treatment of starters and leavers
- National Insurance calculation
- HMRC penalties for non-compliance
- Recovery procedures and offsetting
- Resolving disagreements on entitlement
- Statutory entitlement and qualification criteria
- Exclusions and ceasing entitlement
- Calculating payments
- Record keeping and statutory forms
- Attachment of Earning Orders
- Student loans and attachment orders
- HM Revenue and Customs penalties for non-compliance
- Overview of end of year statutory requirements
- Basic payroll obligations
- Team formation, selection and function
- Communication and decision making
- Team development
- Assessment to enable direct access to year two of the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management
Each topic consists of comprehensive learning materials; links to a range of external material; and knowledge tests associated with these topics. Some are enhanced with streaming video and interactive lessons and tutorials, utilising video conferencing over the internet.
There will be two assessments; one is a multiple choice test, and the other is scenario based assignment.
This course can delivered using our online learning platform supported by a series of interactive activities; comprehensive documentation and online presentations. Assessment is primarily via continual assessment with a worked payroll scenario and multiple choice questionnaire at the end where you will be required to calculate a manual payroll, putting your new skills to use.
Benefits of online learning include:
Value for money - webinars are a low cost and effective learning too
- Can learn anytime, anywhere - as well as the interactive webinars, delegates can download the recorded webcast after the event so they can refer back at a time, date and location to suit them
- Subscribe to RSS feeds to ensure that you never miss an online learning opportunity
This course has a face to face learning option for in-house only. Please email us for more information.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Member and non-member rate:
Advanced Payroll Technician Certificate: £1295 + VAT (online course)
Email us for pricing on the face to face in-house options.
What do my fees include?
- Online course provision through the CIPP’s student website
- Allocation of a tutor to provide you with support
- Trial student membership of the CIPP for the duration of your studies, providing you with access to:
- Two enquiries to the CIPP’s technical Advisory Service helpline
- Online Professional in Payroll, Pensions and Reward magazine
- News On Line e-newsletter distributed with the latest news, updates and legislation
Once successfully completed you may choose to progress to year two of the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management.
Click below to enrol on the next available intake or email email@example.com for more information.Enrol now
Please note there are limited spaces on each intake and enrolments may close a week before the start date