|Two consecutive half days for online option or one full day for face-to-face option
|Virtual classroom or face-to-face options available
|Note: Training course starts at 9:30am
The legislation for statutory sick, maternity, paternity, adoption, shared parental and associated leave, is complex and covered in detail in this informative course.
Aimed a payroll and HR professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experience, this course covers in-depth the rules and regulations for SSP, SMP, SAP, SSP and their associated statutory leave provisions. It also provides an introductory overview of ShPP and SPL. Furthermore, the syllabus explains how these statutory provisions should interact with occupational pay and leave organisations may additionally provide.
This course forms part of the three-day Introduction to Payroll course, but can also be attended as a stand-alone course. Learning is offered either online or in-person and includes one full day of face-to-face content or two half days of online content. Materials will be released in advance of the course and will be available to you through the CIPP online learning platform.
Why you should attend
Administering statutory leave entitlement and the associated pay provisions can be complicated but are an essential arena for organisations to operate correctly and efficiently.
Understanding of statutory payments and leave is required to:
- Communicate entitlement to leave and pay for employees
- Check payroll software calculations
- Administer statutory pay alongside occupational entitlements
- Ensure compliance with statutory minimum payments
This course will be delivered by an expert CIPP-certified payroll trainer, who will give you ample opportunities to ask questions and to test your knowledge about the subject through interactive exercises.
This course is a great start to your learning in payroll.
The course is suitable for delegates that have the following suggested roles:
- Payroll administrators
- Payroll co-ordinators
- Hr administrators
- Hr co-ordinators
- Payroll supervisors
And you may be working in either:
- A payroll bureau
- accountancy firm
- in-house payroll team
What you will learn
Beginning with an overview of the types of statutory and contractual absence, this course moves to cover in-depth the criteria employees must meet to qualify for statutory sick pay and the five types of statutory child-related absence. This course also explains how to calculate statutory payments for these absences and how to keep records, including notification processes.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
-Identify entitlement to statutory pay and leave
-Understand the various differences between the six statutory payments
-Calculate statutory payments
-Comply with the statutory requirements for statutory payments
By the end of the course, you will be able to understand the differences between statutory entitlements to leave and pay and occupational schemes, identify how and when an employee qualifies for pay or leave and administer correct payments to employees on statutory leave.
Statutory payment compliance
- Overview of HMRC’s compliance role with statutory payments
- Outlining the arbitration route with statutory payment decisions
Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
- Determining employees eligible for SSP
- Interpreting Periods of Incapacity to Work, Qualifying Days & Waiting Days
- Calculating SSP payments
- Outlining record keeping requirements for SSP
Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
- Determining employees eligible for SMP
- Interpreting Week Baby Due, Qualifying Weeks and Employment Start Dates
- Calculating SMP payments
- Identifying contractual considerations for employees on maternity leave
- Outlining record keeping requirements for SMP
Other child-related leave and pay
- Determining employees eligible for leave and pay, calculating payments due, and identifying notifications and record-keeping requirements for: Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP), Statutory Paternity Pay (SSP), Statutory Parental Bereavement Pay (SPBP)
- Overview of the principles of ShPP
Prior learning required
This course is an introduction to statutory leave and payments, however, some familiarity with payroll processing is required. So that you can get full benefit from the subjects in this course, we recommend that you have a basic understanding of the payroll function. For individuals completely new to payroll we recommend that you complete one or all of the following courses before attending:
- Payroll for Non-Payroll Professionals (1-day trainer-led course)
- Paying Statutory Sick Pay (1 hour eLearning module)
- Paying Statutory Maternity Pay (1 hour eLearning module)
Continuing your learning
Introduction to Income tax & NICs
A working knowledge of PAYE & NICs is the central skillset that all payrollers must master. This course covers in-depth the rules for calculating both statutory deductions as well as the principles of processing starters and leavers correctly. You will leave the course with the ability to calculate gross to net pay manually.
Essential Additions to Payroll Basics
This course directly follows from the Introduction to Income Tax and NICs syllabus to cover a broad range of other subjects which all payroll administrators must competently grasp such as Student Loan Deductions, Court Orders, Auto-Enrolment, Real-Time Information, Year-End obligations and an introduction to Director’s NIC’s.
Holiday Pay & Leave
This course deals with the complex rules and regulations surrounding the administration of holiday pay and leave for a wide variety of workers. Aimed at delegates working in payroll or HR responsible for calculating entitlement to paid time away from work this course will equip you with the knowledge to ensure you are processing this key statutory payment compliantly.