This course gives a high-level overview of the day to day obligations of the payroll function, including the fundamentals of payroll, statutory and voluntary payments, and deductions.
Please note: Materials for this course will be made available via an online platform, however a selection of this materials will need to be printed off and brought with you on the day. Login details for the online platform will be sent to you 10 days before the course start date. If you have any problems or questions, please email email@example.com.
Who is this course aimed at?
Non-payroll personnel including HR, accountants, software developers, finance and anyone who needs an insight into payroll administration and an appreciation of its responsibilities.
What will I learn?
On completion of this training, you should have an enhanced understanding of the working relationships between payroll, HR, IT, finance and other departments, as well as external third parties, and an appreciation of the challenges of producing timely and accurate payrolls while fulfilling corporate and statutory obligations.
You will gain a solid overview of all aspects of payroll, including the complete payroll cycle, payroll implications of company benefits, the importance of deadlines, basic tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs) processing, and the fines for getting this fundamental business function wrong.
- Essential payroll interactions and obligations with other departments
- Payroll deadlines
- Key dates
- Legislation and case law
- Legislation that impacts payroll
- Employment status: employed or self-employed?
- National minimum wage
- National living wage
- Holiday pay and leave
- Lawful, versus unlawful, deductions
- Real-time information and the data requirements
- Statutory payments and deductions
- SSP, SMP, SAP, SPP and ShPP
- Student loans
- Court orders
- PAYE income tax and national insurance contributions
- Tax rates, allowances, thresholds and codes
- Correct treatment of starters, leavers and payments after leaving
- Benefits in kind, including childcare vouchers
- National insurance
- Directors’ NIC
- Workplace pensions and automatic enrolment
On completion, delegates should be able to:
- Enhance working relations within payroll, HR, IT, finance and other departments, including third parties
- Improve services to employees through better, more effective communication
- Understand the day to day obstacles to be overcome when producing a payroll as well as fulfilling corporate and statutory obligations
- Promote the image of the payroll department
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0121 712 1063.
Closing date for bookings is two weeks prior to the course date.
The CIPP can offer in-house delivery on most training courses.
In-house delivery can be very attractive for organisations as they can train large numbers of employees* at a reduced rate, without the additional associated costs, such as travel and 'lost time'.
Click here for more information.
*Minimum number of delegates apply