Tackling tax avoidance and evasion
20 March 2015
Further to the Budget announcement, details on the package to tackle tax avoidance and evasion have now been published.
HM Treasury and HMRC set out the action the government has taken during this Parliament and the next steps to be taken on tackling tax evasion and avoidance. In brief the further measures announced are:
- to toughen the consequences for tax evaders and those who help them, including publically naming evaders and enablers of evasion
- asking the regulatory bodies who police professional standards to take on a greater lead and responsibility in setting and enforcing clear professional standards around the facilitation and promotion of avoidance
- the introduction of a new strict liability offence for those who have not paid the tax due on offshore income
- new civil penalties for enablers of tax evasion – consultation to follow on the detail of this
- to create a new offence of corporate failure to prevent tax evasion or the facilitation of tax evasion, following consultation
- further toughening of the range of penalties available to HMRC, following consultation
- investing more resource in the rewards that HMRC can and does pay, for significant information on offshore tax evasion.
See GOV.UK for full details.