16 August 2023
The employer bulletin for August 2023 is out and HM Revenue and Customs has packed it full of updates and reminders for payroll professionals and employers.
Here are the main headings and topics covered in the bulletin:
- Tax relief on employee contributions to registered pension schemes
- Ceasing your PAYE scheme
- Correcting payroll mistakes for an earlier tax year
- The National Minimum Wage
- Benefits in kind — informal payrolling 2022 to 2023
Tax updates and changes to guidance
- Dividend diversion scheme used by owner managed companies to fund education fees — Spotlight 62
- Helping customers steer clear of tax avoidance schemes
- Alcohol Duty — new rates and reliefs from 1 August 2023
- Tackling non-compliance in the umbrella company market — share your views by 29 August 2023
- Income Tax Self Assessment — preparing for the new tax year basis
General information and customer support
- Anti-money laundering supervision — YouTube videos to help businesses
- Helping your new employees get paid correctly
- the Help to Save scheme — extended to April 2025
- Time to Pay for VAT customers — self-serve
- How to check if your seasonal or temporary staff are eligible for automatic enrolment into a pension scheme
- COVID helpline
The PAYE sections is always full of useful tips for payroll professionals. This edition has a handy link to a checklist for National Minimum Wage checks that employers can adopt to ensure you don’t end up being named and shamed.
But don’t overlook the general information, which gives three tips to help you pay new starters correctly and a reminder that the COVID scheme helpline will be closing on 18 September 2023.
Information provided in this news article may be subject to change. Please make note of the date of publication to ensure that you are viewing up to date information.