Sponsor a Tier 2 or 5 worker: guidance for employers

27 February 2017

Updated guidance, including an addendum about 'information on the skills charge' has been published.

This is the full policy guidance on sponsoring a migrant worker. Use this guide to find out how to:

  • apply for an employer’s sponsor licence

  • employ people from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who will be doing a role under Tier 2 or 5 of the points-based system.

The addendum to the information on the skills charge is to do with legislation expected to come into force on 6 April 2017 which means that you may be required to pay the Immigration Skills Charge where you sponsor a worker from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). See page 1 of the Tier 2 and 5 of the points-based system: guidance for sponsors for full details.