Guidance updates: Workers moving between the UK and the EU

16 February 2021

HMRC has published updates to two of the guidance pages that discuss the National Insurance (NI) implications for individuals from the UK going to work in the EU, and social security contributions for individuals coming to work temporarily in the UK, following the fact that all EU member states have expressed their wish to opt in to apply the detached worker provision.

National Insurance for workers from the UK working in the EEA or Switzerland

Working in the EU

To ensure that they only pay NI contributions in the UK, a worker, or their employer, should apply for the relevant certificate or document if they are:

  • Going to work temporarily in the EU for up to two years
  • A multistate worker working in the UK, and one or more EU countries
  • A civil servant working for the UK government
  • Working onboard a vessel at sea, with a UK flag
  • Working as a flight or cabin crew member, where the home base is in the UK

Social security contributions for workers coming to the UK from the EEA or Switzerland

Updates to guidance have been included to demonstrate the fact that individuals who are coming to work on a temporary basis in the UK, and their employers, should apply for a certificate or document from the social security organisation in the EU member state that they are coming from, which could mean that they continue paying social security contributions there, and will not be required to pay social security contributions in the UK.


Information provided in this news article may be subject to change. Please make note of the date of publication to ensure that you are viewing up to date information. Download the CIPP's Payroll: Need to know - your guide to payroll legislation and reporting for the most up to date data.