Payroll Technician Certificate
Are you new to payroll or use a payroll system and need to know how it works to be able to answer employee questions?
Starting with pay as you earn and national insurance contributions this course will equip you with the skills necessary for the preparation of manual payments and correction of errors. The course then moves onto the rules of statutory maternity pay, statutory paternity pay, statutory adoption pay, shared parental pay, statutory sick pay and associated leave and contains all recent legislative changes, providing clear explanations on qualification, entitlement and calculation of the above statutory payments and leave. The course concludes by considering court orders and student loans.
WHO IS THIS CERTIFICATE AIMED AT?
- New people in payroll who want to understand what payroll software does for them and those who need the ability to calculate or check calculations manually
- Those working in HR and finance with responsibility for advising employees and calculating company reimbursements
- Staff with some payroll experience looking to further their knowledge
- Individuals who are considering enrolling on the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management at year two and want to refresh their knowledge on the fundamentals of day to day payroll operation
WHY SHOULD I INVEST IN THIS CERTIFICATE?
- Those who require an introduction to payroll or to refresh your skills leading to improved knowledge and confidence within your role
- Greater understanding of how payroll should be administered to comply with legislation
- Reduced risks of compliance penalties, especially in relation to PAYE reporting
- Convenience of certificate timing, giving the student flexibility relating to start dates and fitting around workload
This qualification is conducted completely online and covers the following topics:
- Overview of automatic enrolment
- Calculating gross pay and apportionment of gross pay
- Voluntary and statutory deductions
- The pay statement
- Tax codes and tax free pay
- Tax percentages and rates
- P45 and P46 procedures
- Calculation of tax and NICs
- NI percentages and rates
- Starters and leavers
- HMRC penalties for non-compliance
- Recovery procedures and offsetting
- Resolving disagreements on entitlement
- Statutory entitlement and qualification criteria
- Exclusions and ceasing entitlement
- Calculating payments
- Record keeping and statutory forms
- Attachment of Earning Orders
- Student loan deductions
- Overview of end of year statutory requirements
- Basic payroll obligations
Each topic consists of comprehensive learning materials; links to a range of external material; and knowledge tests associated with these topics. Some are enhanced with streaming video and interactive lessons and tutorials, utilising video conferencing over the internet.
There will be two assessments; one is a multiple choice test, and the other is scenario based assignment.
The entire course is delivered using our online learning platform supported by a series of interactive activities; comprehensive documentation and online presentations. Assessment is primarily via continual assessment with a worked payroll scenario and multiple choice questionnaire at the end where you will be required to calculate a manual payroll, putting your new skills to use.
Benefits of online learning include:
Value for money - webinars are a low cost and effective learning too
- Can learn anytime, anywhere - as well as the interactive webinars, delegates can download the recorded webcast after the event so they can refer back at a time, date and location to suit them
- Subscribe to RSS feeds to ensure that you never miss an online learning opportunity
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Member and non-member rate:
Payroll Technician Certificate £1045 + VAT (online course)
Advanced Payroll Technician Certificate £1,295 + VAT (online course)
Advanced Payroll Technician Certificate+ £1,495 + VAT (Online and face to face)
The Advanced Payroll Technician Certificate+ is held online with the exception of the final module which is a face to face tutorial. Please contact us for more details.
What do my fees include?
- Online course provision through the CIPP’s student website
- Allocation of a tutor to provide you with support
- Trial student membership of the CIPP for the duration of your studies, providing you with access to:
- Two enquiries to the CIPP’s technical Advisory Service helpline
- Online Professional in Payroll, Pensions and Reward magazine
- News On Line e-newsletter distributed with the latest news, updates and legislation
Once successfully completed you may choose to progress to year one of the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management or year two via the RPL route (see page for details).
In addition to completing the standalone 26 week level three certificate, the advanced option includes a team working module and built in progression to year two of the Foundation Degree in Payroll Management, completing at a level four certificate. This option takes 31 weeks to complete. For more details please email email@example.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does this qualification take to complete?
The course is delivered over a 20 week period but is a 26 week timetabled course
How much time will I need to invest each week?
This will depend upon prior experience. Realistically you should allow about four to five hours per week. Recommended study time is seven hours per week.
How much does this qualification cost?
£1045 + VAT, which includes student membership of the CIPP for the duration of your studies. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for multiple booking discounts.
When does this qualification start?
The course normally starts on the 1st Monday of each month. There is an intake every month apart from March
Enrolments are online throughout the year. Click below for the next available dates or for more information email email@example.com.Enrol now
Please note there are limited spaces on each intake and enrolments may close a week before the start date