Payroll Technician Certificate
This online qualification allows individuals to develop and formalise payroll knowledge and skills. Whilst studying at home, students progress to applying complex legislation and contractual obligations to enable accurate administration of payroll services.
Designed for those new to payroll, or those who wish to improve their working knowledge of payroll processes, this qualification covers the core skills required to administer the payroll function. From calculating gross pay and identifying the differences between taxable and NICable pay, the course covers in-depth the methodologies for the manual calculation of PAYE income tax, NICs, student loan deductions and statutory payments.
Together with a broad overview of other payroll obligations such as court orders, real-time information, automatic enrolment, end of year reporting and HMRC remittance calculations, students will gain a balanced education on the fundamentals of the payroll profession.
Each module offers comprehensive learning materials; links to a range of external material; and knowledge tests associated with these topics. The key subject matter is further enriched with digital online learning tutorials as well as interactive scenario-based exercises, which enable students to apply their new-found knowledge and skills through realistic scenarios. This variety of learning mediums provides a complete developmental experience which enhances ready application in the workplace, to the benefit of student and employer alike.
Significant investment has been recently provided to further enhance the digital applications this qualification offers. Available from April 2020, this revamped product offers the latest in digital learning experiences available to the aspiring payroll professional.
Who is this certificate aimed at?
Payroll administrators, payroll coordinators and payroll officers who work in a payroll bureau, accountancy firm or in-house payroll team will all benefit from completing this industry-recognised qualification.
This course is also suitable for HR and finance professions who have assumed responsibility for the payroll department but need a hands-on comprehension of how payroll figures and forms are produced.
Why should you invest in this certificate?
Having fully trained payroll administrators is vital for organisations to ensure they remain compliant with the increasing amount of regulations and legislation which impacts on the day to day running of the payroll department.
On completion of this course, you will have the knowledge required to enable you to efficiently and accurately handle the variety of issues encountered when processing payrolls.
- Ascertaining gross pay
- Classifying taxable and NICable pay elements
- Calculating pay apportionments correctly
- Processing deductions
- Ascertaining what makes a deduction from pay lawful
- Classifying the three types of deductions
- Distinguishing deductions which affect taxable and NICable pay
- The administrative considerations for voluntary deductions
- Calculating National Insurance Contributions
- Recognising the names and current amounts of NIC thresholds
- Listing the current rates of NICs for each category letter
- Identifying the correct NI category letter for employees
- Calculating NICs using the exact percentage method
- Calculating NICs using the Table method
- Identifying different tax codes
- Identifying circumstances which warrant 'emergency tax codes'
- Categorising different tax codes
- Distinguishing Scottish tax codes
- Calculating income tax
- Identifying the different allowances available
- Navigating through pay adjustment table A
- Calculating income tax using the table method
- Calculating income tax using the manual method
- Awareness of circumstances where tax refunds may be processed
- Administering starters and leavers correctly
- Listing information required for processing starters & leavers
- Completing forms P45 and New Starter Checklist correctly
- Pensions and automatic enrolment
- Overview of different types of pension schemes
- Identify the different tax relief mechanisms for pension contributions
- Overview of the automatic enrolment process
- Classifying the different categories of workers for automatic enrolment
- Implementing opt-outs, pension contributions refunds and re-enrolment
- Student loan deductions
- Identify employees liable to student loan deductions
- Distinguish the different student loan repayment plans
- Calculate Student loan deductions
- Court orders
- Define attachable earnings
- Identify the different array of court orders
- Distinguishing court orders from arrestment orders
- HMRC remittances
- Administer remittances due to HMRC accurately
- Recognise the statutory payment offset amounts
- Summarising the key features of apprentice levy
- Explaining the purpose and employer eligibility for the employment allowance
- Statutory payment compliance
- Overview of HMRC’s compliance role with statutory payments
- Outlining the arbitration route with statutory payment decisions
- Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
- Determining employees eligible for SSP
- Interpreting periods of incapacity to work, qualifying days and waiting days
- Calculating SSP payments
- Outlining record keeping requirements for SSP
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
- Determining employees eligible for SMP
- Interpreting week baby due, qualifying weeks and employment start dates
- Calculating SMP payments
- Identifying contractual considerations for employees on maternity leave
- Outlining record keeping requirements for SMP
- Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP)
- Determining employees eligible for SAP
- Calculating SAP payments
- Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP)
- Determining employees eligible for SPP
- Calculating SPP payments
- Shared Parental Pay (ShPP)
- Overview of the principles of ShPP
This qualification is available either entirely online or in-house as a combination of face to face classroom-based workshops and online delivery.
The online qualification is delivered through our online learning platform permitting students a more flexible study pattern. Students will work through a series of interactive activities and quizzes supported by detailed study material. They may track their understanding through undertaking knowledge-check assessments before progressing to the next section. The qualification concludes with a two-part assessment comprising of a timed question based test, followed by a set of scenario based exercises which require the student to prove competence with manual payroll calculations.
For organisations looking to upskill their payroll teams, or train new employees on the fundamentals of payroll processing and administration we can come to your offices and deliver this certificate in-house, meaning that your team benefit from the knowledge and expertise of the CIPP trainer as well as the comprehensive materials and online activities.
We will deliver this certificate over six classroom-based learning and revision sessions with a qualified and experienced CIPP payroll trainer. Each will require a full day attendance delivered at your offices. Students will then utilise our online learning platform to further cement their knowledge by undertaking a series of knowledge-check assessments. The qualification concludes with a two-part assessment comprising of a timed question based test, followed by a set of scenario based exercises which require the student to prove competence with manual payroll calculations.
Successful completion of this qualification demonstrates a competency and understanding of payroll administration and is also representative of the work students undertake in real-life payroll administration.
How much does it cost?
Payroll Technician Certificate - ONLINE DELIVERY
Member and non-member rate: £1,595 + VAT
- Online provision through the CIPPs student website
- Allocation of a tutor to support you through your studies
Payroll Technician Certificate – IN-HOUSE DELIVERY
Price upon request as dependent upon number of students, click here for indicative in-house pricing or register your interest below.
- Three face to face classroom learning days, covering three core modules
- Three face to face revision days ahead of your assessment
- Access to materials online through the CIPPs student website
- Allocation of a tutor to support you through your studies
In-house enquiry form
*denotes a mandatory field
Prices valid until 30 June 2021
Frequently asked questions
How long does this qualification take to complete?
The course is delivered over a 20 week period but is a 26 week timetabled course.
When does this qualification start?
The course normally starts on the 1st Thursday of each month. There is an intake every month apart from March.