Do your employees have a Post Office card account?

05 October 2021

From 1 December 2021, HMRC will stop making payments of Child Benefit, Guardian’s Allowance, and tax credits into Post Office card accounts therefore, HMRC is urging those who claim these benefits to update HMRC with their new bank account details by 30 November 2021.

How can you help?

Although claims of this kind aren’t dealt with by payroll teams, communicating this change to employees is something that you could be involved in.
Customers of the service have been advised that if they already have an alternative bank account, they can contact HMRC now to update their details. If they do not have an alternative, they should set up a new bank, building society or credit union account to receive their money.

If employees have a personal tax account, they can use this to provide revised account details. Alternatively, Child Benefit customers can change their bank account details via GOV.UK or by contacting the Child Benefit helpline on 0300 200 3100, whilst Tax credits customers can change their bank account details by contacting the tax credits helpline on 0345 300 3900. If an employee cannot open a bank account, they should contact HMRC.

Information provided in this news article may be subject to change. Please make note of the date of publication to ensure that you are viewing up to date information.