This course will give you an insight into common causes of overpayments and whether you have the right to recover the overpayment with or without the employee’s permission.
Please note: Materials for this course will be made available via an online platform, however a selection of these materials will need to be printed off and brought with you on the day.
Login details for the online platform will be sent to you 10 days before the course start date.
If you have any problems or questions, please email [email protected].
Why you should attend
The overpayment of remuneration to employees can occur for many reasons. The rules governing the right to reclaim overpayments are complex and must be managed with caution.
This course clarifies the impact of relevant case law and statutes and identifies the practical considerations for reclaiming overpayments using group discussions and exercises to create an interactive learning environment. From this, delegates can devise best practices to take to their organisations for managing overpayments effectively and correctly and furthermore minimise the risk of them arising.
Payroll Co-ordinators, Payroll Supervisors, Payroll Managers & HR Managers working in either an accountancy firm, payroll bureau or an in-house payroll and/or HR team.
What you will learn
To teach delegates case law impacting on the recovery of overpayments to employees and combine this with best practice guidelines to enable them to construct sound procedures for managing and minimising overpayments.
- How to calculate the gross and net amounts owed
- How to implement overpayment procedures
- How to make the legal recovery of overpayments
- Prepare a corporate guidance policy on overpayments
- Causes of overpayments
- Examining the frequent causes of overpayments
- Establishing the reasons which complicate overpayment recoveries
- Mechanisms to reduce incidents of overpayments
- Examining effective procedures which reduce overpayments
- Outlining effective audit processes for analysing overpayment causes and frequencies
- Analysing annual leave policies which can reduce overpayments
- Procedures for processing deductions from pay
- Awareness of the deduction details required for payslips
- Categorising the three types of deductions
- Defining wages and their relevance to overpayment recovery
- Procedures for recovering overpayments
- Applying the Estoppel Principle to overpayment scenarios
- Interpreting relevant case law impacting on overpayment recovery
- Appreciating the impact the Contract of Employment has on the ability to recover overpayments
- Identifying best practices with recovering overpayments
- Using the legal route for recovering overpayments
- Outlining the process for recovering overpayments through the courts
- Appraising the cost/benefit factors in determining if legal action is viable
Prior learning required
Delegates should work in a payroll or HR role which gives exposure to their organisation’s current approach to minimising overpayments and their recovery when they do occur.
An understanding of gross to net calculations is also required.
Continuing your learning
Creating a payroll procedure manual:
The procedures for managing and minimising overpayments is an essential consideration that Payroll Supervisors and Managers have to incorporate into their procedural documentation.
This course covers the theory and practicalities that need to be considered when designing a procedures document that all payroll departments need to ensure all statutory and contractual obligations are managed efficiently and professionally.
Closing date for bookings is two weeks prior to the course date.