26 February 2024

In January, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) updated the alternative dispute resolution guidance to add a phone number for HMRC to be contacted. It does give us the opportunity to highlight the service and what you can use it for.

Individuals, organisations and agents can get a HMRC mediator to assist with a dispute and can be used when:

  • communications have broken down between you and HMRC
  • there are disputes about the facts
  • a dispute appears to be the result of a misunderstanding
  • you want to know why HMRC has not agreed evidence you have given them, and why they want to use other evidence
  • you’re not clear what information HMRC has used, and you think they may have made wrong assumptions
  • you want HMRC to explain why they need more information from you.

There are, however, a number of situations where it cannot be used, including:

  • complaints and disputes about HMRC delays in using information or giving you misleading advice
  • automatic late payment or late filing penalties
  • PAYE coding notices
  • disputes about the National Minimum Wage

So, while it may be that for most payroll related queries this would not be the correct avenue, it might be beneficial if you fall into the agreed situations to make use of the service.

For other queries where a resolution is required, you can learn more about how to complain about HMRC here.

Information provided in this news article may be subject to change. Please make note of the date of publication to ensure that you are viewing up to date information.