HMRC publishes communication resources relating to off-payroll working rules
06 March 2020
HMRC has published a communication pack that provides information to be provided to members, clients and customers in relation to the off-payroll reforms that will come into effect from 6 April 2020.
As part of its response to the review into the implementation of the reforms, HMRC pledged to continue to offer education and support to assist customers in applying the new rules. The stakeholder pack provided certainly gives substantial educational information, in a variety of forms, and it is advisable for businesses and contractors and indeed, anyone affected by the reforms, to familiarise themselves with all of the documents provided.
The material frequently reminds individuals to ensure that they protect themselves by steering clear of tax avoidance schemes. The resounding advice given is that if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is, so in scenarios where offers that claim to ensure workers are not affected by off-payroll working rules are made, or where it is alleged that take home pay can be increased in any way, caution should most definitely be exercised.
The materials in the pack are as follows:
- Know the facts – top tips to be shared with contractors
- A contractor flowchart – decision making guide for contractors
- A sample news article – information about the key changes which can be included in magazines, newsletters or websites
- A sample email – information about the changes that can be issued to members
- Leaflet for contractors – this can be printed for contractors
- Case studies – example scenarios to be included in communications
- Short comparative case study – case study comparing the perspectives of a contractor and a client
- Social media messages – text to be used on social media channels
Information provided in this news article may be subject to change. Please make note of the date of publication to ensure that you are viewing up to date information. Download the CIPP's Payroll: Need to know - your guide to payroll legislation and reporting for the most up to date data.