Employer Bulletin – February 2020
12 February 2020
The latest edition of the Employer Bulletin has been released by HMRC and can be located here.
The bulletin is published on a bi-monthly basis and provides essential information surrounding payroll topics. The CIPP recommends that payroll professionals or those with an interest in payroll read the document in its entirety to ensure that they are aware of any legislative changes that have been announced.
This particular edition is bursting at the seams with valuable information and discusses the review of off-payroll working rules, and confirms dates for when the HMRC webinar will be held, after a brief hiatus due to purdah prior to the general election. There is a reminder of the recently published National Insurance (NI) thresholds, with confirmation that the Primary Threshold (PT) will be uplifted to £9,500. Reference is also made to the proposed Statutory Payments rates.
There are timely reminders about yearend reporting, and guidance on submitting the final Full Payment Submission (FPS) and Employer Payment Summary (EPS) of the tax year, along with the dates of the deadlines for the distribution of P60s to staff, and for for sending out P11Ds and a P11D(b) to HMRC. Continuing with this theme, the Bulletin confirms that P9 Notice of Coding notifications will be sent out shortly in preparation for the new tax year. There is also a reminder that customers need to update their Basic PAYE Tools should they use them, in readiness for the 2020-2021 tax year.
There is a topical article on Benefits in Kind with Cash Allowances, Flexible Benefit Packages and Salary Sacrifice which is of relevance as OpRA legislation means that some of the arrangements that were previously protected under grandfathering will no longer be from 6 April 2021, and so employers will need to review any relevant contracts prior to that point.
The contents of the Bulletin in full are as per below:
- Review of off-payroll working rules from April 2020
- NIC thresholds and Statutory Payments rates 2020-2021
- Electronic payment date falls on a weekend
- Student and Postgraduate Loans
- Get ready for the rise in the National Minimum and National Living Wage rates on 1 April 2020
- End of year reporting 2020
- Parental Bereavement Leave and Pay
- Preparing for changes to Employment Allowance
- P9 Notice of Coding
- Basic PAYE Tools – New Release
- A reminder on Benefits in Kind with Cash Allowances, Flexible Benefit Packages and Salary Sacrifice
- Reporting expenses and benefits
- Small business survey – Tell ABAB
- Short-Term Business Visitors
- Trivial Benefits
- Ultra Low Emission Vehicles and Diesel Supplement Company Car Tax Exemption changes
- Changes to the income tax and NICs treatment of emergency vehicles – end of transitional arrangements from 6 April 2020
- Issues regarding payroll identification of secondees to the UK in error
- Disguised Remuneration
- Business Tax Account -2013-2014 data to be removed
- Register as an employer
- A reminder for employees to update their Personal Tax Account
- Sporting Testimonials & Termination Payments budget measure
- Update on Termination Payments
- News from The Pensions Regulator
- How does the ageing workforce affect you?
- Upcoming changes to Employment Law
- Booklet 480 online
- A new digital tool from the Department for International Trade
The CIPP will continue to alert its members when Employer Bulletins are released.
Information provided in this news article may be subject to change. Please make note of the date of publication to ensure that you are viewing up to date information.