Course time: 9:30 AM - 13:00 PM
Case law continually produces changes to employees’ statutory holiday leave and pay entitlement, which is covered in this informative payroll training course, along with the various types of leave and the calculation of pay.
Why you should attend
Holiday pay and leave has recently been subjected to numerous case law decisions and statutes, becoming a difficult area to manage correctly. Backdated payments and penalties for non-compliance can be significant and so it is vital for HR and payroll professionals to understand these complicated rules if they are responsible for administering holiday.
Understanding holiday pay and leave is vital to be able to:
- Calculate how much leave a worker is entitled to
- Pro-rate leave entitlement where a worker begins or leaves part way through a leave year
- Calculate holiday pay for workers with variable earnings (including casual or zero-hours contracts)
- Make payment for final holiday
- Comply with statutory obligations for worker entitlements
What you will learn
The course begins with a detailed explanation of the impact of influential case law and statutes and the differences between the different types of annual leave. You will be taught how to apply these parameters to a range of circumstances from backpay to zero-hour contracts to part-year entitlements. The interaction between holiday leave and sickness and maternity leave is also explored.
Once you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of legislation affecting holiday pay and leave
- Appreciate the implications of the different types of annual leave entitlement
- Calculate the following
- Entitlement for starters and leavers
- Entitlement for part-week and part-year workers
- Pro-rata entitlement to bank holidays
- Calculate holiday pay
- Overview of relevant legislation
- Overview of relevant case law
- Identifying the three types of annual leave
- Identifying the leave year
- Calculating entitlement for starters and leavers
- Part-time and irregular workers
- Handling changes to entitlement during the leave year
- Calculating holiday pay
- Identifying the pay reference period
- Elements of pay for inclusion in holiday pay
- Interaction of annual leave with other absences
- Carrying over entitlement
- Record-keeping and resolving disputes
Continuing your learning
Overpayment recovery workshop
For many reasons, holiday pay is occasionally overpaid to employees. The rules governing the right to reclaim overpayments from employees are complex and must be managed with caution. This course clarifies the impact of case law and statutes on this subject and identifies the best practice for reclaiming overpayments and minimising the risk of them arising.
Holiday pay is a common component of termination packages. This course will elaborate on when this and other payments are due in which circumstances. Also, the calculation methods and whether they are liable to statutory deductions or are partially or wholly exempt is explored.
For more information please email [email protected] or call us on 0121 712 1000.
Closing date for bookings is two weeks prior to the course date.
The CIPP can offer in-house delivery on most training courses.
In-house delivery can be very attractive for organisations as they can train large numbers of employees* at a reduced rate, without the additional associated costs, such as travel and 'lost time'.
Click here for more information.
*Minimum number of delegates apply