Case law continually produces changes to employees’ statutory holiday leave and pay entitlement, which is covered in this informative course, along with the various types of leave and the calculation of pay.
Who is this course aimed at?
Managers, supervisors and practitioners who need to understand both the legal requirements and the daily practicalities of handling holiday pay and leave.
Please note: Materials for this course will be made available via an online platform, however a selection of this materials will need to be printed off and brought with you on the day. Login details for the online platform will be sent to you 10 days before the course start date. If you have any problems or questions, please email email@example.com.
What will I learn?
This practical course includes an overview of the legal framework that governs holiday pay and entitlement, as well as worked exercises to explore the calculations thoroughly.
It takes a scenario-based approach to examine tricky situations such as part-time workers, zero hour contracts and the entitlement to bank holidays, entitlement changes during the leave year and entitlement accrual during absence for other reasons.
Recent case law relating to holiday pay and leave will also be covered.
- Understanding the legal framework
- Holiday pay: Employment Rights Act 1996
- Entitlement: The Working Time Regulations 1998
- The employment contract
- Relevant case law
- Calculating holiday pay
- Workers with normal or irregular working hours
- What to include in holiday pay
- Calculating entitlement and handling requests
- Accrual options
- Notice and cancellation
- Carrying over entitlement
- Handing part-time, shift, casual and agency workers
- Pro rata entitlement and bank holidays
- Changing working hours
- Entitlement during other leave
- Sickness absence
- Maternity and adoption leave
- Paternity and shared parental leave
- Future developments
- The changing definition of holiday pay
- Possible future changes to the Working Time Regulations
On completion, delegates should be able to:
- Fully understand what holiday leave their employees are entitled to
- Accurately calculate any holiday pay due taking various pay elements into account
- Calculate leave/pay for part-time workers and for term-time and zero hours contracts
- Know how employees’ entitlements are affected by various types of statutory leave
- Appreciate the impact of making mistakes
- Be aware of possible future changes
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0121 712 1000.
Closing date for bookings is two weeks prior to the course date.
The CIPP can offer in-house delivery on most training courses.
In-house delivery can be very attractive for organisations as they can train large numbers of employees* at a reduced rate, without the additional associated costs, such as travel and 'lost time'.
Click here for more information.
*Minimum number of delegates apply