Personal Tax Accounts – share the knowledge
17 November 2016
HMRC has produced an online Personal Tax Account (PTA) information flyer. Are you able to share this information with your teams through online portals, intranets, noticeboards etc?
It only takes five minutes to register and all your tax information can be viewed in one place. Share the knowledge with your teams and it could help to reduce queries to the payroll department.
The Personal Tax Account (PTA) was launched in December 2015 and gives customers a one-stop shop for all of their tax information. It gives customers the flexibility to access HMRC’s services at a time that suits them as the service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
By mid-October 2016 over five million people had already signed up to the Personal Tax Account. Services are continually being added to the PTA but those already live include:
- receiving an estimate on your Income Tax and tax code
- filing a Self Assessment tax return
- claiming a tax refund directly into your bank account and receiving it within 3-5 working days – removing the need to wait for a cheque or Payable Order
- checking and managing your tax credits, including the ability to change your circumstances throughout the year
- checking your State Pension
- checking or updating your Marriage Allowance
- checking or updating benefits you get from work, such as company car details and medical insurance.
The PTA is radically changing the way that customers contact HMRC and the effects of this have already been felt.
Almost 1 million customers renewed their tax credits claim ahead of the 31 July deadline this year, representing a move away from the old paper and telephone methods of renewal. Over 600,000 people have already received their Income Tax refund directly to their bank account without having to wait for a cheque in the post as before. And more than 100,000 people have checked their company car status details and updated them accordingly.
Register by visiting www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account.